Obituary of Oscar Nick Ortiz
May 21, 2018
Oscar Nick Ortiz, of Nevada City, went to be with our Lord Jesus on May 5, 2018 after a brave fight with cancer.
He was born in San Bernardino on December 6, 1939.
At the age of 18, Nick enlisted in the Army and served for six years. It was during that time that he took training courses in learning the skill of heavy equipment mechanics.
Nick and his wife Donna met in Riverside and married shortly before moving to Nevada City in 1973.
He was a heavy equipment mechanic locally for 32 years until his retirement in 2005.
Nick was busy raising six children and enjoyed working on his property, trips to Hawaii and keeping up with his favorite sport, football.
He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Donna Ortiz; sons, Mike, Dan (Page), Pete and John (Qing) Staffa; daughters Amber and Karissa Ortiz; six grandchildren; four great grandchildren, and four siblings. As well as many other lovingly "borrowed" family members to whom Nick was a father figure.
Nick was a kind and gentle man and loved by many. He will be missed by all whose lives he touched.
He requested no memorial services, just a small private family gathering to remember him.
Arrangements are under direction of Hooper and Weaver Mortuary.
Trending In: Obituaries
- High-speed chase through Nevada County ends in crash, arrest of two robbery suspects
- OUTPOURING OF LOVE: Forest Lake Christian community lends helping hand to Paradise Adventist Academy during time of need
- Farewell, sole man: Owner of Dave’s Shoe Repair dead at 82
- UPDATE: T-Mobile store in Grass Valley robbed again, Grass Valley police say
- A helping hand: Where and how to donate to Camp Fire victims