Obituary of Howard Reed
February 14, 2018
Howard Reed passed peaceably in his sleep at the home he shared with his son, Kenneth, on January. 26, 2018. He was 97. He was born on January 14, 1921 in Nickerson, KS, the youngest of 3 children. He graduated from St. Johns military academy in Wisconsin, and later graduated from the University of Denver with a BS in Mechanical engineering. Howard married his beloved wife of 72 years, Eleanor, in 1945 while on leave from the Army Air Corp. He served with distinction during WWII as an airplane instrument mechanic in the Air Corp. Howard and Eleanor, with two young sons, moved to Albuquerque, NM after their discharge from the military, where Howard worked at the Sandia Corp. The family moved to Livermore CA, the result of a company transfer. He worked at Sandia for 20 years, then at the Lawrence Lab for another 4 years. In 1974 he and Eleanor moved to Grass Valley CA, built a house, and bought a locksmith business, later named Reed's Locksmithing, which they both ran for 22 years.
Howard was a lifelong woodworker; he taught his skills unselfishly to his sons, who both continue in his footsteps. Howard was unerring in his love & support for his family, and a good friend to many. He will be missed by all who knew him.
Howard is survived by sons Mike (Joyce) Reed of Danville and son Ken Reed of Forest Ranch; grandson Casey Reed of Chico; granddaughter Alexandra Sherman & 3 great grandchildren of LA.
He was preceded by his wife, Eleanor in 2016
Arrangements are under the care of Chapel of the Angels Mortuary.
Trending In: Obituaries
- High-speed chase through Nevada County ends in crash, arrest of two robbery suspects
- OUTPOURING OF LOVE: Forest Lake Christian community lends helping hand to Paradise Adventist Academy during time of need
- Farewell, sole man: Owner of Dave’s Shoe Repair dead at 82
- Nevada City health club to be repurposed as ‘cannabis campus’
- UPDATE: T-Mobile store in Grass Valley robbed again, Grass Valley police say