NU student sets small fire in bathroom | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

NU student sets small fire in bathroom

A small fire was discovered Friday morning in a boy’s restroom at Nevada Union High School.

Nevada County Consolidated was called around 7:10 a.m. and the fire already had been extinguished by administrators, said fire investigator Terry McMahan.

The fire was easily extinguished and appeared to have been set in the soap dispenser, administrators said.



“No one was hurt and that’s the important thing,” said district assistant superintendent Karen Suenram, adding the damage is minor, but is being assessed.

The school was evacuated and traffic was backed up on Ridge Road, though the incident took place before school started, said NU Principal Mike Blake.




“We shut down the entrance, so there was a little excitement in the beginning of the day,” Blake said.

The perpetrator was caught on surveillance camera upon exiting the bathroom and disciplinary action was taken.

“He was cited and he’ll be suspended,” Blake said. “We’re dealing with teens and the reality is sometimes they make impulsive decisions. They’re just students who have a momentary lapse (in judgement), do something they shouldn’t be doing, so we go through the process.”

To contact Staff Writer Jennifer Terman, email jterman@theunion.com or call 530-477-4230.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News

Truckee Downtown Park Project takes shape

|

The Contractors Association of Truckee Tahoe Community Project celebrated the groundbreaking of the Truckee Downtown Park Project located at the Church Street Community Arts Center.



See more