No on Proposition 72 | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

No on Proposition 72

I’m writing to urge my fellow citizens to vote no on Prop. 72. This is a referendum on SB-2, a poorly written bill, passed during recall politics.

Simply put, it mandates that employers with 50 or more employees must pay 80 percent of the cost of their employees’ health insurance. It also mandates that the employees must pay the other 20 percent. No opting out. If you work for an employer with 200 or more employees, this will apply to dependents as well.



This will have several bad effects. First, I know of two employers here in Grass Valley alone who have stopped plans to expand and are now planning layoffs if 72 passes. Thus, jobs will be lost.




Second, bureaucrats will take this vote as a mandate, and ultimately bring its eligibility down to the two-50 employee market. Finally, if pay or play does not succeed in reducing the uninsured significantly, and it will not, then the single-payer crowd will then put forth government run insurance.

Please vote no on Prop. 72. Right problem, wrong solution.

Anthony Halby

Nevada City


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User