‘Northern Roots’ the closing act at Night of Giving event
December 6, 2017
The upcoming Night of Giving on Dec. 16 at Miners Foundry will be Northern Roots' third performance to benefit Hospitality House, a nonprofit community shelter for homeless, which is funded primarily by individual donations. Northern Roots will be closing act at the fundraising event, which will include more than 35 Nevada County musicians.
Known for its reggae flare, Northern Roots has been a long time project of lead singer/guitarist Aaron Penn, who said he carefully added musicians one at a time until all current members were finally in place by February of 2016.
"I've been living in Nevada County since 1992 and grew up here — I have always felt a strong sense of community, plus a love for reggae music," said Penn. "The reason I got into reggae music was from finding a connection between my Jewish upbringing and the lyrics from Rasta legends such as Peter Tosh, Bob Marley and many other reggae greats."
Northern Roots plays every third Thursday of the month at The Golden Era Lounge in Nevada City. An album release party and more shows are in the works for 2018. For more information, check out Northern Roots Reggae on Facebook. For more information on the Night of Giving, visit https://hhshelter.org/events-fundraisers/a-night-of-giving.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Tahoe National Forest issuing 200 Christmas tree cutting permits
- Meet your merchant: If Deby Hendrickson can’t fix your sewing machine, chances are it isn’t broken
- Nationally known quilter to speak in Grass Valley
- Toys for Tots registration announced
- Judge Garen Horst to speak at Nevada County Jewish Community Center
- Nevada County missing man case: Signs of violent struggle found
- Grass Valley man sues Nevada County, Sheriff’s Office, over leg broken at jail
- Get in the holiday spirit Sunday during Victorian Christmas in Nevada City
- Disappearance of Nevada County man turns into homicide investigation
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman reports boyfriend won’t listen to her