Nevada County author celebrates new memoir chronicling Scientology experiences
May 1, 2018
Author Sands Hall returns to Nevada County after touring the East Coast to celebrate her new memoir, entitled "Flunk. Start. Reclaiming My Decade Lost in Scientology." The Book Seller will host Hall for a reading and Q&A session at 5:30 p.m. today. Doors open at 5 p.m. The book chronicles Hall's experiences as she becomes interested in, joins, and leaves the church, despite her parents' misgivings. Taking its name from a phrase used in Scientology drills, "Flunk. Start." emphasizes the importance of recognizing what one is doing wrong and starting again, a process not limited to life as a Scientologist. Hall is the author of "Tools of the Writer's Craft" and "Catching Heaven," a WILLA Award finalist, which will be available at The Book Seller during the event.
The Book Seller asks that attendees RSVP as they anticipate a large crowd in the event space. The presentation will begin promptly at 5:30 p.m., so guests are encouraged to arrive with time to enjoy refreshments and find seating before it starts.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Penn Valley Firefighters’ Association breakfast Sunday
- Nevada County Social Singles open to new members
- Meet your merchant: If Deby Hendrickson can’t fix your sewing machine, chances are it isn’t broken
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada Union High School Class of 2003 reunion
- UPDATE: T-Mobile store in Grass Valley robbed again, Grass Valley police say
- OUTPOURING OF LOVE: Forest Lake Christian community lends helping hand to Paradise Adventist Academy during time of need
- Farewell, sole man: Owner of Dave’s Shoe Repair dead at 82
- A helping hand: Where and how to donate to Camp Fire victims
- WELCOME HOME: Pro disc golfer Gregg Barsby honored with key to city