Gas leak at Pioneer Park pool |

Gas leak at Pioneer Park pool

Photo for The Union by John Hart
John Hart | The Union

A Nevada City man was helping an Eagle Scout with a public service project to implement eight benches around the pool at Pioneer Park when the pair reportedly ruptured the gas line Wednesday afternoon.

The park was subsequently evacuated by Nevada City police and firefighters while Pacific Gas and Electric dispatched service personnel to fix the leak.

“He and I were digging holes,” said Verne Taylor. “I actually hit the gas line that heats the pool with a digging bar.”

Luckily Taylor is also the city’s director of the Public Works Department and recalled the location of the shut off valve.

Nevada County Consolidated Fire District personnel responded at approximately 3:30 p.m. and the immediate area was cleared out including the park’s play ground. Responded public services members were on scene for approximately an hour, said Capt. Patrick Sullivan.

PG&E responded and repaired the leak, Taylor said.

— Christopher Rosacker

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User