Call for Nevada County entries: Young Writers Competition
February 9, 2018
Nevada County middle and high school students are encouraged to enter Sierra Writers' Young Writers Competition for a chance to win cash prizes totaling $1,450. Submissions are due by March 1. High school and middle school students will compete separately. Categories for submissions include fiction, non-fiction and poetry. First, second and third place prizes will be awarded in each category. Judges will select the winners based on originality, coherence (following conventional usage) and correctness (spelling and grammar). Winners will read their submissions and be recognized at a reception held at the Sierra Writers meeting on May 9.
Established in 1982, Sierra Writers strives to encourage and cultivate writers of all genres in Nevada County. With monthly meetings, workshops, networking events and speakers, the organization provides a broad range of opportunities for members.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Meet your merchant: If Deby Hendrickson can’t fix your sewing machine, chances are it isn’t broken
- Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) wait list is open
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Salvation Army of Grass Valley prepares for annual Christmas distribution
- Local GOP women win President’s Award
- New Nevada County firearm rules go into effect Jan. 10
- Former Nevada County resident ‘Cappy’ Gordon killed in Montana
- Fight on South Auburn Street leads to passerby getting punched
- Nevada County supervisors eye Old Tunnel Road land for homeless services
- Nevada County customers lose home insurance; some see double, triple increases