New charges filed in Nevada County sex case
Steven McClenthen was on probation for unlawful sexual intercourse when officers in January made an impromptu check on his house, Nevada County authorities said.
What they found put McClenthen back in jail on new sexually related accusations, Assistant District Attorney Chris Walsh said.
“He was essentially caught in the act,” the prosecutor added.
McClenthen, 21, pleaded no contest late last year to two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and a count of oral copulation with someone under 16 years old. He was sentenced to five years’ probation and ordered to stay away from the victim, court records state.
“My thoughts are — he shouldn’t have been given probation in the first place,” Walsh said.
Defense attorney William Walker, who represents McClenthen, declined comment.
As a probationer, McClenthen was subject to periodic checks by officers, Walsh said. A check occurred on Jan. 29, leading to two new accusations of unlawful sexual intercourse with two different girls under 16 years old, records state.
According to Walsh, McClenthen faces a maximum of five years in prison if convicted on the new charges.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4239.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.