Nevada County prosecutors add torture accusation back to Stan Norman murder case | TheUnion.com

Nevada County prosecutors add torture accusation back to Stan Norman murder case

Nevada County prosecutors in new court filings accuse two men of torturing Stan Norman when they killed him, a move that could bring a challenge from defense attorneys.

Superior Court Judge Linda Sloven ruled last week that enough evidence exists for prosecutors to pursue murder charges against Sean Bryant, 52, and Michael McCauley, 42. She also found enough evidence for a special allegation of torture against Bryant, but not McCauley.

Prosecutors on Friday revealed updated charges against the pair in a court hearing, accusing both of them of torture.

It’s a move Assistant District Attorney Chris Walsh said sets the stage for McCauley’s defense attorney to challenge the accusation.

“They can always challenge the sufficiency of the evidence at a preliminary hearing,” Walsh added.

Prosecutors have the ability to add charges a judge decided against after a preliminary hearing has occurred. However, Sloven’s decision potentially gives McCauley’s defense attorney a stronger argument for it never reaching a jury, Walsh said.

Defense attorney Kelly Babineau, who represents McCauley, couldn’t be reached for comment.

Bryant and McCauley are next scheduled to appear in court August 19. Attorneys hope to set a trial date at that time.

It’s possible a hearing could occur sooner, if a defense attorney files a motion arguing the evidence doesn’t support the accusations the men face.

Authorities accuse Bryant and McCauley in the April 2018 death of 70-year-old Norman. They say Bryant shot Norman with glass marbles and a crossbow. McCauley helped and assisted in burying the remains.

Both men have pleaded not guilty.

To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email ariquelmy@theunion.com or call 530-477-4239.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.