More layoffs in Nevada County government, Haffey to take pay cut | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

More layoffs in Nevada County government, Haffey to take pay cut

From Nevada County CEO Rick Haffey’s Friday memo:

Layoff notices to county employees: On Wednesday, October 13 two employees received official written notice that his/her position will be eliminated by November 1, 2010. The employees being affected by these reductions work in the County Executive’s office, CDA Administration and Probation. The layoff notices inform employees of any rights they might have to demote to other positions within his/her respective classification series or department. Employees are being referred to the County Human Resources Department for assistance in applying for other county jobs that may be available.

This action is being taken due to the severe revenue shortfall caused by poor economic conditions, loss of grant funding and lack of work. If you have any questions regarding the layoffs, please contact Human Resources Director Gayle Satchwell.



Haffey to cut own pay in response: In response to a severe budget shortfall, I have offered to reduce my salary by 5% and contribute 4% of my pay towards the county’s pension costs. This totals a reduction of 9% of my pay. This reduction in salary will be presented to the Board for consideration in open session on October 26, 2010.

I am taking this action because the County continues to struggle with balancing its budget. Due to declining revenues and increasing costs, the County will face a severe fiscal challenge in 2011. In order to maintain existing service levels and stop our employees from losing their jobs, costs will have to be reduced.




I do not believe in asking employees to make sacrifices that may adversely impact them or their families without being willing to make a sacrifice myself. I hope that my contribution will make a difference.

For more on this please read Saturday’s edition of The Union.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News

Woman testifies in sexual abuse case

|

Witness testimony and opening statements were presented Tuesday in the trial of a former Nevada City man who is accused of sexually abusing a girl for a period of several years, starting when she was…



See more