Maria’s restaurant evacuated after small fire | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Maria’s restaurant evacuated after small fire

A small fire burned partially through a kitchen wall at noon at Maria’s restaurant in downtown Grass Valley, causing the restaurant to be evacuated.

Firefighters from the Grass Valley and Nevada County Consolidated fire departments responded to the scene after an employee reported she saw smoke coming from an outside westward-facing wall.

Grass Valley Fire Chief Hank Weston said that the fire was due to an error made when the kitchen was constructed. One of the industrial-sized stoves the restaurant uses to prepare meals was directly against an exterior wall instead of 10 inches away, which is the requirement, he said.



Every time the stove was used, he said, nails in the stainless steel siding heated wooden beams inside the wall, causing it to turn into charcoal. He said it appeared to have been happening since reconstruction of the kitchen was finished one month ago and could have caused a severe fire.

“They were lucky that it was during business hours,” Weston said, estimating the damage done to the building to be about $2,500.




While the incident interrupted the lunch hour, Weston said the restaurant would be back open for dinner.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User