Man says he’s not guilty of setting Galleria on fire | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Man says he’s not guilty of setting Galleria on fire

SACRAMENTO (AP) – The man accused of starting a fire that severely damaged the Galleria mall in Roseville blurted out in court that he is “not guilty” when he made his first court appearance.

A Placer Superior Court judge did not enter a plea for 23-year-old Alexander Corney Piggee on Monday and scheduled another court date for Thursday to give his family time to hire an attorney.

Last week’s fire started in a section of the Galleria and erupted into a huge blaze, destroying 20 stores and causing portions of the roof to collapse. Firefighters were kept from going into the mall over fears that a bomb was inside.



Roseville officials refused Monday to say whether the sprinkler system was shut off during the blaze, citing an ongoing investigation.




Information from: The Sacramento Bee, http://www.sacbee.com


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User