Woman armed with gun, knife causes shutdown of Dog Bar, Wheeler Acres roads | TheUnion.com

Woman armed with gun, knife causes shutdown of Dog Bar, Wheeler Acres roads

A woman reportedly armed with a gun and a knife caused the closure of several roads west of Grass Valley for more than three hours Monday.

No injuries were reported after the standoff.

The woman, who had not been officially identified as of press time, reportedly had been arrested on suspicion of being under the influence of a controlled substance early Sunday in Grass Valley.

It was not known what precipitated the incident Monday morning at the residence in the 13000 block of Dog Bar Road, in which the woman reportedly fired multiple rounds from a .357 pistol.

Support Local Journalism

Neighbor Teri Walker said hearing a gunshot in the vicinity is not uncommon, but these were a lot closer than normal.

According to Walker, when she heard the first shot at about 8:30 a.m., she initially thought the noise was her husband falling off a ladder. About five minutes later, she said, she heard a second shot and realized it was gunfire.

In all, the woman fired six shots — “not all at once,” said Walker, who called 911 after the fifth round.

“Then the helicopters and cops showed up,” she said. “They were right on it. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Walker said she had a fairly good view of the woman, who by then was in her back yard behind a wooden fence with the gun in one hand and a large knife in the other.

“She was running up and down the fence line, waving her arms,” she said. “I could clearly see the gun, she was throwing her arms up and flailing, rocking back and forth and waving her arms.”

Law enforcement closed Dog Bar and Wheeler Acres roads and established a perimeter around the house, and the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office put out a “shelter in place” warning for area residents.

Law enforcement continued to monitor the situation using a helicopter and plane, reporting the woman to be pointing the gun at the backyard fence from time to time.

Negotiators spent hours patiently and calmly trying to reason with the woman, Walker said. At one point she put the gun and knife down, and then immediately picked them back up.

Just before 11:30 a.m., the negotiators threw a box containing a cell phone over the fence in an attempt to establish better contact. The woman refused to use the phone, however.

“She kept saying nope,” Walker said. “Then she started yelling at them to shut up.”

Just after 1 p.m., the standoff ended, shortly after Walker heard negotiators again urge the woman to put her weapons down.

“Boom, it was instantaneous,” she said. “They ripped (part of) the fence down and they were jumping the fence. I could hear ‘Get down, get down,’ it was that fast and she was on the ground. It was pretty intense.”

The woman was detained and taken into custody before being transported to the hospital, according to scanner traffic. As of press time, she had not been booked on any charges.

Contact reporter Liz Kellar at 530-477-4236 or by email at lizk@theunion.com.

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Connect with needs and opportunities from

Get immediate access to organizations and people in our area that need your help or can provide help during the Coronavirus crisis.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User