Tahoe Forest firewood season opens
Firewood permits for the Tahoe National Forest can be purchased beginning Tuesday, May 16. The price for permits is $15 per cord, with a two-cord minimum and an annual 10-cord maximum per household.
Permits can be obtained at all ranger stations, the forest headquarters or by mail. Applications for mail-in permits can be found online at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/.
Woodcutters are advised to wait until the roads dry out to avoid possible safety concerns or road damage.
In general, the firewood permit allows removal of dead and down wood on TNF system lands unless otherwise indicated, but not on private land. It also authorizes removal of standing dead conifer trees on all ranger districts within 200 feet of some roads.
Trees may not be cut if marked with paint, wildlife signs, boundary landmark signs, other official signs or in areas closed to woodcutting. Firewood season will extend until Nov. 26, when rain and snow traditionally make the roads impassable.
Firewood cutters are reminded that they are required to keep a serviceable shovel at least 46 inches long and a fire extinguisher (foam or dry chemical) within 25 feet of where saws are being operated. All gasoline-powered saws, splitters, etc., must have a USFS approved spark arrester installed. Transportation load tickets will be issued along with the permit.
To determine what areas are open for cutting and the daily project activity level for fire danger, call the woodcutting hotline for the ranger district where you plan to cut wood (also found on the permit):
(530) 265-4531, TDD 478-6118, 631 Coyote St., Nevada City, CA 95959. Woodcutting Hot Line: (530) 478-6253 – Yuba Ranger District.
Yuba River Ranger District
(530) 288-3231, TDD 288-3656, 15924 Highway 49, Camptonville, CA 95922. Woodcutting Hot Line: (530) 288-3231.
American River Ranger District
(530) 367-2224, TDD 367-2226, 22830 Foresthill Road, Foresthill, CA 95631. Woodcutting Hot Line: (530) 367-3308, ext. 3.
(530) 994-3401 ext. 0, TDD 994-3521, PO Box 95, 317 S. Lincoln (Hwy. 89) Sierraville, CA 95126, Woodcutting Hot Line: (530) 994-3401, ext. 4.
Truckee Ranger District
(530) 587-3558, TDD 587-6907, 9646 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA 96161. Woodcutting Hot Line: (530) 587-2158.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User