State higher-ed grants available |

State higher-ed grants available

Annual grants of up to $9,700 are available to students to attend a campus of the California state university system, the University of California system or other colleges within the state.

The Cal Grant program awards money to students with good grades and financial need. For instance, a family of four needs to have a household income of $68,202 or less for a student to qualify.

So far, 11 Nevada County high school students have been approved for Cal Grant money this year.

Interested students need to mail a school-certified copy of their grades and a Free Application for Federal Student Aid by March 2.

For information on the program, students may contact their school counselor’s office, the Cal Grant Web site at, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid program at, or call 1-888-CA-GRANT.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User