St. Patrick’s celebrates Our Lady of Guadalupe (VIDEO)
December 13, 2017
Grass Valley's vibrant Mexican-American community came together Tuesday night to honor Our Lady of Guadalupe with music, song, dance, and a street processional that culminated inside St. Patrick's Catholic Church with a mass dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
The celebration honors the Virgin Mary's appearance to Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin atop the hill at Tepeyac Mexico in December of 1531.
The Virgin Mary's appearance to Diego, a Native American, was an important event that helped to bring the Spanish, indigenous, and mestizos together under one God and religion.
Many communities across the Spanish-speaking Americas celebrate the apparition and subsequent miracles by holding pilgrimages to the site in Mexico where the Virgin Mary appeared, as well as holding feasts and celebrations in their own communities on Dec. 12.
Contact Multimedia Reporter Elias Funez at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-477-4230.
Trending In: Local News
- A helping hand: Where and how to donate to Camp Fire victims
- Alleged serial groper arrested in Grass Valley
- Grass Valley shooting incident a hoax, cops say
- Nevada County supervisors restrict ‘nuisance’ shooting on private property
- Nevada County releases latest election results: Moon, Bierwagen maintain leads