School van burns up | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

School van burns up

Firefighters extinguish a blaze in this van Wednesday. The fire was considered accidental.
ALL | GrassValleyArchive

The yogurt was well-done, the freezies a boiled mess Wednesday, after a fire ripped through a Grass Valley School District van hauling snacks.

The driver escaped without injury on West Main Street near Alta Street before flames spread from the engine compartment at about 10:15 a.m.

The cause of the fire is considered accidental, Grass Valley Battalion Chief Tom Browning said. He didn’t learn the driver’s name.



Aboard were cases of yogurt and freezies, according to firefighters at the scene, and the van was headed toward Lyman Gilmore and Scotten schools.

“There was a lot of plastic burning, so it put up a lot of black smoke,” Browning said.




The fire occurred about two weeks after the van passed a safety inspection and received a new windshield.

– Doug Mattson


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User