Penn Valley fire destroys home |

Penn Valley fire destroys home

Mark Sorenson was on duty with Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital Ambulance at 2:19 a.m. Thursday when he heard a dispatch call he could hardly have imagined: His home was on fire.

Almost immediately, he received a phone call from his wife, Stacey, reporting that she and their two sons were safe, but that their double-wide mobile home at 10291 Bar Hill Road in Penn Valley was a total loss.

“My wife turned on the light to do something in the living room, and sparks started flying out of the wall socket,” Sorenson said Thursday evening after spending the day cleaning up the mess and salvaging what he could.

“It caught that wall on fire pretty rapidly and it spread like wildfire,” he said.

Units from the Penn Valley, Grass Valley and Rough and Ready fire departments responded to the blaze and were able to save a bed and a couple of dressers.

“The boys lost everything,” Sorenson said. “Clothes and things like that were pretty much a wipe-out. The smoke damage was pretty heavy.”

The Sorensons are currently staying with his parents, Wally and June Pearson of Penn Valley, while they figure out what to do next.

Friends and Stacey Sorenson’s employer, Citizens Bank of Nevada County, were organizing aid efforts Thursday, but no details were available.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User