NID to run campground this year
Nevada Irrigation District will run Orchard Springs Resort this season after two private proposals to run the beleaguered campground at Rollins Lake were rejected Wednesday by the NID board.
Board members rejected proposals from recently ousted concessionaire Bill Hanan and his predecessor, Ed Vincent, with no comment amidst hints of lawsuits.
“I think they’re making a mistake; they had a chance to resolve this,” said Vincent, who ran the popular resort from 1993 to 2003.
The situation arose Jan. 25 when NID canceled its concession contract with Hanan because he had no insurance and did not make royalty payments to NID on a timely basis, NID General Manager Ron Nelson has previously stated. Soon after, NID sent eviction notices to 25 long-term residents informing them their long-term leases with Hanan were not authorized or legal.
That resulted in 14 households leaving by this week and eight signing an agreement to be out by April 15 – some of them signing by Tuesday’s deadline. Three remaining households would not sign.
According to NID Assistant General Manager Tim Crough, the district will now begin unlawful detainer proceedings against the three remaining tenants. The proceedings are a swift legal maneuver used to remove people whose tenancy was never legally established. Eviction proceedings generally take several months, Crough said, but the unlawful detainer will be quicker.
The board action also paves the way for the eviction of Hanan from the NID-owned resort land, where he has a modular home and other equipment he said is worth $1 million. Hanan and his attorney, Chuck Farrar, refused comment after the meeting.
On Tuesday, Hanan and Vincent each pitched their proposals to run the campgrounds again. Hanan said he made mistakes running the resort last year and would be more hands-on if he won the job back. Vincent said Hanan was capable, but he could do a good job, as well.
Hints of lawsuits and legal action caused the NID board to meet in special session prior to the meeting, but no formal action was taken. The board then unanimously rejected both proposals and opted to have staff run the resort this year.
“They just all got bounced,” said Elizabeth James, a tenant who made the controversy public with others after NID gave her the initial eviction notice. “All our hard work (to prevent Hanan from retaking control of the resort) paid off.”
To contact Senior Staff Writer Dave Moller, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 477-4237.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User