New candidate surfaces in supervisor race
Only one new candidate for a Nevada County office emerged Monday, the first day of filing for the 2006 election season, according to records from the Clerk-Recorder’s Office.
Martin Harmon, a Penn Valley resident, will run for the District 4 Supervisor seat. He now has one opponent, former Grass Valley fire chief Hank Weston, who also officially declared his candidacy Monday. The current supervisor, Robin Sutherland, announced in December that she will not be seeking re-election, citing “family responsibilities.”
Harmon owns Gold Country Ranch, a large acreage near the Yuba Highlands in District 4.
Phone calls Monday evening to Harmon were not returned.
Additionally, four candidates stepped forward for seats on the Democratic and Republican Central Committees, and which correspond to the county’s supervisorial districts.
Of the 17 candidates who indicated their candidacy by pulling initial paperwork that enabled them to gather signatures in lieu of paying filing fees, eight declared their candidacy Monday. All but Weston are incumbents.
No candidates filed for offices in Nevada City; the office was closed Monday for Lincoln’s birthday. City Manager Mark Miller said that no one had slipped their paperwork under the door either.
Elections for Grass Valley offices are held in November.
Filing closes March 10.
To contact staff writer Brittany Retherford, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 477-4247.
The following candidates filed declarations of candidacy Monday at the Nevada County Clerk-Recorder’s Office:
• Sam Aanestad (R-Grass Valley), State Senate District 4
• John Spencer, Board of Supervisors District 3
• Hank Weston, Board of Supervisors District 4
• Martin Harmon, Board of Supervisors District 4
• Dale Flippen, Assessor
• Marcia Salter, Auditor-Controller
• Clifford Newell, District Attorney
• Keith Royal, Sheriff-Coroner-Public Administrator
• E. Christina Dabis, Treasurer-Tax Collector
• Terry McAteer, Superintendent of Schools
• Marcus Matthias, Democratic Central Committee District 1
• Mona Matthias, Democratic Central Committee District 1
• Tony Souza, Democratic Central Committee District 5
• John Vandenberg, Republican Central Committee District 2
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User