Nevada County authorities identify man who died in Highway 49 wreck
May 27, 2018
Nevada County authorities have identified the man who died in a May 21 wreck on Highway 49 as John Givens, 58, of Penn Valley.
Givens around 2:50 p.m. that day slumped over in his Ford F-150 and veered off the road near Idaho Maryland Road, authorities said. Chief Deputy Coroner Mike Sullivan said Givens' death appears related to heart issues, and that his death is likely from natural causes.
"Everything appears to be cardiac-related," he said, adding that he intends to wait for toxicology results before making a final determination.
Givens' vehicle struck an embankment at an angle after veering off the road. It began moving again as bystanders approached it, driving across the highway and hitting the center divider. No one else was injured, authorities said.
— Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy
Trending In: Local News
- Three Grass Valley arrests involve drugs, alcohol
- Grass Valley resident hits up Grammy Awards ceremony for third time
- SCHOOL CLOSURES: Western Nevada County schools closed today
- More snow possible down to 1,000 feet for Nevada County
- Gray wolf OR-54’s return to Nevada County part of ‘dispersal’ activity