Murder-for-hire informant sues | TheUnion.com

Murder-for-hire informant sues

Roman Gokhman

The man who reported a murder-for-hire plot to authorities is now suing the man convicted of the crime for emotional damages.

Lou Sans told Nevada County sheriff’s deputies in 2003 that Lake of the Pines resident William Weismann had asked his help in hiring a hit man to kill his neighbor.

Weismann, 67, was arrested April 11 in a sting after he paid $5,000 to an undercover Sacramento County sheriff’s deputy to have the neighbor, Tom Wess Jr., killed. He is now serving five years at Folsom State Prison extension facility in Represa, according to his family.

The suit, filed a couple of weeks ago, seeks $250,000 plus compensation for undisclosed doctors’ fees. It alleges Weismann’s “conduct was intentional and malicious in that he acted in reckless disregard of the probability of causing (Sans) to suffer mental anguish and severe emotional and physical distress.”

Sans “suffered severe anxiety and fear during the course of setting up (Weismann) for his ultimate arrest,” the suit alleged.

Sans’ Auburn attorney, Timothy Jensen, said Weismann is responsible for that distress because Weismann put Sans in the center of the situation.

Recommended Stories For You

“Weismann came to him with the expectation he would help him kill somebody,” Jensen said. “Why sue anybody but Weismann?”

Jensen also said Sans is afraid for his life because if Weismann wanted to hire a killer over a property dispute, what would he do to the man who helped put him in jail?

Weismann’s family believes that is ridiculous.

“Nobody has anything to fear from my father – the neighbor doesn’t have anything to fear from my father,” said Weismann’s daughter, Julie, from her Pacifica home.

Julie Weismann said she does not believe Sans has any reason to be stressed from the ordeal.

“I watched the video of the sting,” she said. “Lou Sans had his arm around my dad. He was laughing and having a good time. He didn’t have to take any of these steps” to get Weismann arrested.

The lawsuit also alleges Sans went through emotional distress during legal proceedings, where Weismann’s attorney brought up Sans’ background and criminal history, “issuing false information to the press and to (Sans’) neighbors.”

The next step in the case is a conference scheduled for May 24, where a judge will lay down the timeline for proceedings.

Authorities said the murder plan evolved from an ongoing and heated property dispute between Wess and Weismann. The two at one point served each other with restraining orders.

Lake of the Pines security officers and sheriff’s deputies had been called several times to mediate disputes between the two. Weismann also accused Wess of installing security cameras looking into Weismann’s property and of painting a red line between their properties, among other actions.

Sans’ lawsuit is one of three grievances related to the murder-for-hire plot.

In October 2003, a civil lawsuit brought by Tom Wess’ family against the Weismanns was dropped after the Wess family complained Weismann’s attorneys were seeking too many documents related to the civil case.

Last month, Wess filed a $5 million suit against Lake of the Pines’ members-only association, alleging that its failure to settle the long-standing property dispute contributed to a murder-for-hire plot.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.