Most candidates have 1 week to file for primary
Senior Staff Writer
Those planning to run on the June 8 primary ballot only have one week left to file, unless they plan to stage a write-in campaign, according to state election laws.
The deadline for filing candidate declaration papers is 5 p.m. Friday, March 12 at the Nevada County Elections Office on the second floor of the Rood Center at 950 Maidu Ave. in Nevada City.
The papers must be in hand and will not be accepted if they show up late in the mail with a March 12, or earlier postmark, according to Assistant County Clerk-Recorder Gail Smith.
There could be a small wrinkle for three primary filings in three races, due to the resignation of a trio of incumbents, former assessor Dale Flippin, former treasurer-tax collector Christina Dabis and current Nevada City Councilwoman Barbara Coffman.
California law extends the filing date to March 17 if incumbents choose to not run again.
That will likely happen in the three races, because Flippin and Dabis are officially gone, and said they had no intention of seeking re-election. Coffman has also made it clear on several occasions she has no intention of running again for one of the two spots open on the Nevada City Council this year.
Here’s how those races shaped up as of Friday:
• Nevada City Council, incumbent Sally Harris, Lee Griep and Duane Strawser.
• Treasurer-Tax Collector, Tina Vernon, Darlene Woo and John Nolle.
• Assessor, Sue Horne and Rolf Kleinhaus.
As of Friday, eight county incumbents had filed for office, meaning all opponents must file to beat them by March 12, unless they become write-ins. Those races and candidates include:
• District Attorney, incumbent Cliff Newell.
• Clerk-Recorder, appointed incumbent Gregory Diaz and Barry Pruett.
• Superior Court Judge, appointed incumbent Candace Heidelberger.
• Supervisor 4th District, incumbent Hank Weston.
• Supervisor 3rd District, incumbent John Spencer.
• Auditor-Controller, incumbent Marcia Salter.
• Sheriff, incumbent Keith Royal.
• Superintendent of Schools, appointed incumbent Holly Hermansen and Eric Hoeffler.
To contact Senior Staff Writer Dave Moller, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 477-4237.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User