More testimony heard in attempted murder trial |

More testimony heard in attempted murder trial

During the second day of Daniel Colondres’ attempted murder trial, witnesses testified — sometimes in contradictory fashion — to a convoluted web of relationships that ended in his allegedly stabbing Shanti Reynolds and her boyfriend, Taylor George, in her Lake Wildwood home.

Colondres is facing charges of attempted murder with a special allegation of great bodily injury, first-degree residential burglary with a person present, stalking with a special allegation of use of a deadly weapon and while armed with deadly weapon, criminal threats, stalking, false imprisonment by violence, dissuading a witness by force or threat, disobeying a protective order and vandalism.

Reynolds had met Colondres initially in 2005 when he was 19, and he stayed with her for about eight months. He moved in again in January 2011, and she testified that she wanted to help him get his life back on track.

Reynolds testified that in late January or February, she sent Colondres over to work on a fence belonging to her friend, Kendra Bishop.

She testified that she eventually began to suspect the two were having an affair, saying she felt “betrayed and lied to.”

Bishop testified that Reynolds had been one of her “very, very best friends” before an argument over her relationship with Colondres.

Under cross-examination, Reynolds admitted to pushing Bishop with a bottle of laundry detergent during the argument, which Colondres filmed on his cell phone. She said she took the memory card from the phone but subsequently has not been able to locate it.

She admitted to telling Bishop she slept with “Luke” every night, but said that was “blurted” out in the heat of the moment and that she never had sex with Colondres.

Colondres moved out again but allegedly was stalking Reynolds before he allegedly broke into her residence Aug. 20, 2011, and slashed the couple with a knife before neighbor Jeff Love drove him off by hitting him with a golf club.

Taylor George testified that he awoke the night of the attack to see a “dark figure” hovering over him and described trying to fight him off.

“In my mind, he was there to kill us — and I didn’t agree with (that),” George said.

Bishop testified that on the night of the attack, Colondres had come over to her residence. They both had been drinking before getting into an argument, she said.

“I told him he was acting like a 7-year-old,” she said.

Colondres left, then returned at some point, coming into her bedroom and then flying into a rage, smashing a light fixture and punching holes in the walls and closets, Bishop said.

“The more I tried to calm him down, the more enraged he was getting,” she said, adding that at some point he told her he was going to Reynolds’ house because he thought Bishop’s husband was there.

“I just figured he was drunk and saying stupid stuff,” Bishop said. “I didn’t take him serious.”

Bishop said she eventually left the house and did not return until later that morning, after Nevada County Sheriff’s deputies contacted her to gain access to the residence.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Bob Jakobs, the investigator on the case, testified that he initially searched Reynolds’ house and found two knives. He said later that morning he found Colondres asleep on the laundry room floor at Bishop’s home, lying on top of a duffel bag that contained a nearly empty vodka bottle, as well as gloves and a mask.

Jakobs interviewed Colondres two days later, a recording of which was played for the jury Wednesday afternoon.

Colondres said he had been very intoxicated but insisted he did not intend to harm anyone. He said he was scheduled to go to court the next morning for a restraining order filed by Reynolds, and that was “weighing on his mind.”

“I wanted to talk her down about the court thing,” he said. “It was stressing me out. … I’m pretty sure I just wanted to talk to her.”

In the interview, Colondres insists he took only one knife to the house, saying that he just picked it up on his way out for self-protection.

He added that he didn’t know why he was wearing gloves or why he used a ripped-up pillowcase to cover his face.

The prosecution is expected to wrap up its evidence today; the trial is set to resume at 9:30 a.m.

To contact Senior Staff Writer Liz Kellar, email or call (530) 477-4229.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User