Grass Valley Elks sponsor 240 shelter meals
August 20, 2018
Jack Morris was once a homeless Hospitality House shelter guest. Today Jack rents a room on his own and has recently joined the service-oriented Grass Valley Elks Lodge #538 as a new member. The Elks Lodge dished up 240 meals at Hospitality House in July and August, the ingredients of which were covered by an Elks Lodge grant for $2,000. Students from Hospitality House's culinary job training program cooked the ingredients into delicious meals that members of the Elks Lodge offered to Hospitality House guests.
The Grass Valley Elks rent affordable rooms for people transitioning out of homelessness. According to Hospitality House Program Manager Isaias Acosta, "As everyone knows, affordable housing is scarce, so the rooms at the Elks Lodge provide a great stepping stone for someone getting back on their feet."
Trending In: Local News
- Rough and Ready caregiver arrested in suspected financial elder abuse
- Attorneys in vehicular manslaughter case now have toxicology, vehicle info
- Contractor error delays new playground in Grass Valley
- Nevada City pondering Commercial Street options
- Nevada County prosecutor: Couple facing animal cruelty charge again miss court