Gas leak shuts down Nevada Union Friday |

Gas leak shuts down Nevada Union Friday

A gas leak discovered by Pacific Gas & Electric Company led to the Friday closure of Nevada Union High School.

According to Nevada Joint Union High School District Superintendent Louise Johnson, the leak was discovered by PG&E during a routine check Thursday.

“They thought they had it contained, but they eventually had to shut off the gas at the source,” Johnson said. “There is no danger. Staff (members) and PG&E are working at finding and isolating the leak.”

The school is without cooking facilities and hot water until the leak is isolated and repaired, Johnson said.

A district-wide professional development day is slated for Monday, so students are not scheduled to be in session, Johnson said. However, workers expect to have the leak repaired in time for the Nevada Union campus to return to its normal schedule by Monday.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User