Fumes sicken worker at waste transfer station | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Fumes sicken worker at waste transfer station

A recycling worker was hospitalized and the McCourtney Road Transfer Station was temporarily closed Wednesday after the worker inhaled unidentified fumes where recycled paint is stored.

John Dani, 29, went by ambulance to Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released.

He earlier complained of chest pains, skin irritation, burning eyes and difficulty breathing after opening a 55-gallon barrel used for storing latex paint, said Chief Tim Fike of the Nevada County Consolidated Fire District, which sent two engines to the station at about 9 a.m.



A Marysville hazardous material team monitored the air, later deemed it was safe, and the transfer station reopened around 12:15 p.m., said Dave Huff, a county Department of Environmental Health specialist.

A Hayward cleaning company was also called in, and a sample from the barrel will be taken to hopefully identify what made Dani ill, Huff said.




Other transfer station employees in the past have suffered health problems from inhaling fumes. To prevent more episodes, Fike’s best suggestion was a reminder for people to make sure of what they bring to the paint storage area.

– Doug Mattson


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User