Dryer caused fire – Butler Street blaze engulfed family’s home | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Dryer caused fire – Butler Street blaze engulfed family’s home

Grass Valley fire officials have traced the origin of a house fire on Butler Street to the family’s dryer.

“It was accidental,” said Grass Valley Fire Chief Hank Weston. “The dryer either malfunctioned … or overheated.

Weston said a clothes dryer can be a relatively common cause of fire if residents don’t clean out the machine’s lint screens.



The fire, which firefighters fought for four hours in the early hours on April 1, spread throughout the house. He said they knew the fire started at the rear of the house, and the fact that there was charred clothing in the dryer tipped them off to how it probably started.

The family, Jay and Laurie Colvin and their two daughters, Sequoia, 8, and Kendall, 2, were not home when the fire started, having left for spring break vacation.




Neighbors called 911 when they saw smoke coming from the rear porch area of the house just after midnight.

A family friend, Shara Arnoldi, said the family is grateful that the firefighters were able to find their wedding photo album, which was almost completely intact, but that the family lost practically everything else they owned. The Colvin family has been living with friends and will be moving into a rental home soon.

Arnoldi is hosting a benefit spaghetti dinner for the family on April 16 from 4:30 to 8 p.m. at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 235 Chapel Street in Grass Valley. Old Barn Mini Storage has given free storage for the family if people wish to donate larger items, she said.

For more information about how to help, contact Arnoldi at 265-8730.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User