Council approves hearing on traffic fees | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Council approves hearing on traffic fees

Local traffic impact fees for new houses and business property would rise between 7 percent and 154 percent, depending on the size and type of development, under a proposed fee schedule that Grass Valley City Council members adopted late Tuesday.

On May 9, people can speak their mind about the proposed fees, which would help pay for local traffic projects, in a public hearing at the next regular council meeting starting at 7 p.m.

The draft fee schedule is based on $3.1 million in capital improvement projects to soften the impacts of growth on traffic.



The fee schedule assumes new residents will create more than 22,800 additional trips by 2020, and spreads those trips out over the cost of the projects to arrive at a per-trip cost, city engineer Tim Kiser said.

Based on federal traffic studies, the fee schedule also assigns how many average daily vehicle trips each kind of development is expected to create.




Each type of new construction would then be charged a fee based on the per-trip cost times how many trips it generates.

“Will there be an inflation factor so we won’t be stuck (with fees not increasing along with inflation) like we have for the last four or five years?” Vice-mayor Mark Johnson asked.

“Yes, there is a cost index,” Kiser replied.

Councilman Dean Williams said the list of capital projects used to calculate the fees was “unbalanced” because it includes no projects serving pedestrians and cyclists.

Despite that criticism, all five council members voted to move the proposal to a public hearing.

The list of capital projects was pared down from $6.8 million in projects originally considered. To reduce costs to meet city income, council members agreed to move two projects to a longer-term schedule.

Those projects are for improvements on East Main Street between Berryhill Drive and Hughes Road, and on Hughes Road from East Main to Cypress Hill.

The income from local traffic fees is expected to fund about 31 percent of the cost of new projects. The city would fund the remaining 69 percent.

ooo

To contact staff writer Trina Kleist, e-mail trinak@the union.com or call 477-4231.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User