Colfax fire fully contained | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Colfax fire fully contained

The 934-acre Stevens Fire, outside Colfax, was fully contained late Wednesday.

Two homes and two outbuildings were confirmed lost in the blaze, which began Sunday with an electrical short in an unoccupied trailer. No residents were reported injured, even though some did not heed evacuation orders.

In all, six firefighters were hurt during the four days of digging lines and battling the fire. The injuries included sprains, bee stings and poison oak.



An earlier report of a broken leg suffered by one firefighter turned out to be a sprain, said Pat Burger, spokeswoman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Evacuees are now being allowed to return to their homes, but an identification proving that they live in the area is needed to pass the checkpoint into the neighborhood.




Burger said the thin, winding streets in the American River Canyon were still replete with firefighting equipment, which makes it dangerous to navigate the charred land.

Fire crews are slowly being reassigned to their home counties, but about 1,000 fire personnel were still on hand Wednesday evening. According to the CDF, the clean-up of the blaze will take about one week.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency provided financing to help fight and recover from the fire, which reportedly was started by an electrical short in an unoccupied trailer Sunday at about 1:30 p.m.

Most of the burned areas were fields rich with manzanita bushes. A Union Pacific railroad line on the hillside was shut down Sunday but was reopened later. Traffic on Interstate 80 was never interrupted.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User