Cigarette likely cause of house fire | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Cigarette likely cause of house fire

A cigarette is the likely cause of a Grass Valley house fire that left a family of five homeless, according to the Nevada County Consolidated Fire District.

The Thursday fire at 11156 Cliffs Place, next to the Nevada County Fairgrounds, started in a living room couch, Battalion Chief Vern Canon said Friday. He said the couch wasn’t near any heating sources, and electrical problems were also ruled out.

One family member is a smoker, Canon said, and the tentative cause is also consistent with 10-year-old David Everton’s statement that the couch burned slowly at first, producing a bright red glow before igniting the drapes.



The boy was credited with awakening his parents, brother and sister before flames consumed the house and burned most of the family’s belongings.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User