Child’s illness closes pool | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Child’s illness closes pool

A child’s sudden illness at Grass Valley’s Memorial Park pool on Friday has led city officials to close the pool throughout the holiday weekend to cleanse the water.

The pool is expected to reopen Monday, said Sandy Jacobson, recreation and facilities manager for the city.

A child vomited in the pool around 1:30 p.m. Friday, Jacobson said, requiring the city to close the site and begin purifying the water with higher chlorine levels to kill any potentially harmful bacteria.



Though the water can be cleansed and brought back to normal chlorine levels within a day, Jacobson said, health codes require water to be purified four times in cases of feces or vomit in the pool.

This is the third time this year the pool has had to close for an “incident requiring hyper-chlorination,” she said.




“I feel horrible that it has to be closed during the three-day weekend,” she said.

The child likely became ill from sunstroke, Jacobson said. The girl reportedly was feeling better soon after.

For those who planned to go swimming this weekend, public access is also offered at Nevada City’s Pioneer Park.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User