Burn permits are now required by CDF | TheUnion.com

Burn permits are now required by CDF

The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit, advises residents protected by CDF Fire that as of today, burn permits will be required.

Permits can be obtained at all CDF fire stations at no charge. Burn permits are good for small piles or incinerators. Only vegetation, paper and cardboard may be burned.

The following are guidelines that must be followed in order to burn safely and legally:

• Provide a 10-foot area free of flammable materials and vegetation around all burn piles/incinerators.

• Do not burn on warm, windy days.

• An adult must stay in attendance at the fire at all times.

• Have a water supply and shovel ready at all times.

• Make sure it is a burn day by calling 274-7928 in Nevada County.

When burning, watch where the smoke goes and try not to smoke your neighbor out. Remember, residents who burn are responsible for their fire. If a fire escapes your control, you may be held criminally and civilly responsible for all costs associated with the suppression of the fire and the damage that it caused.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User