Burglary suspect Michael Sturgell back in jail
April 5, 2018
A 71-year-old man who authorities say failed to appear in Nevada County court on a burglary charge is back in jail after deputies found him at the Golden Chain Motel, Sheriff Keith Royal said.
Michael Kent Sturgell, of Oroville, was booked Wednesday night into the Nevada County Jail. He remained in jail Thursday on $250,000 in bond, reports state.
Sturgell missed a March court hearing, leading a judge to issue an arrest warrant for him.
"He didn't surrender at the jail, so we went and found him," the sheriff said.
According to Royal, deputies learned Sturgell was receiving some kind of treatment out of the area. They knew what his vehicle looks liked, and they spotted it at the Golden Chain Motel, south of Grass Valley on Highway 49, Royal said.
"He was taken into custody without any incident," the sheriff said.
Recommended Stories For You
Authorities have said they linked Sturgell to a Nevada County burglary involving the theft of firearms. Deputies first arrested him in Butte County when he tried to pawn some items.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Local News
- Rough and Ready caregiver arrested in suspected financial elder abuse
- Attorneys in vehicular manslaughter case now have toxicology, vehicle info
- Contractor error delays new playground in Grass Valley
- Nevada City pondering Commercial Street options
- Nevada County prosecutor: Couple facing animal cruelty charge again miss court