Blaze damages Grass Valley home | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Blaze damages Grass Valley home

John HartNevada County Consolidated and Grass Valley firefighters hose down the carport destroyed by flames at 10941 Bettcher Court on Monday afternoon.
ALL | GrassValleyArchive

Groggy from flu medication, Pamela Evans processed information in slow motion Monday. Her dog barked, her boss yelled, and then it registered: Her Grass Valley-area rental house was on fire.

Nevada County Consolidated and Grass Valley fire crews responded to the fire at 10941 Bettcher Court, near Ridge Road and Alta Street, where flames destroyed the carport, a camper, and damaged the house and a Camaro belonging to Evans’ son.



The cause wasn’t immediately known, but the fire appears to have been accidental, Consolidated Battalion Chief Spike Newby said. He said the house is owned by a Vallejo woman.




Home sick, Evans was sleeping when a neighbor reported seeing the carport on fire at 2:53 p.m. She awoke to the barking of her cocker spaniel, Crockett. Then came a warning from her boss, Manzanita Family Center executive director Terry Winters.

“I was asleep because I was sick. The dog barked to wake me up, then I saw (Winters) back up his car, and I thought, ‘What’s that guy doing?'” said Evans, 47.

Crockett, named after the “Miami Vice” character Sonny Crockett, had already escaped, and her sheltie, Summer, named after the season, was retrieved from the house by a firefighter. Three cats also fled.

Winters said he was returning to his office when he saw smoke and thought it could be coming from Evans’ house.

“I was amazed (firefighters) saved the house,” he said. “When I got here, I gave it no hope. I thought the whole house would be gone.”

Newby could see smoke when he first heard the call while on Brighton Street near McCourtney Road.

Fire destroyed the carport and contents and spread to the house a few feet away, scorching a bedroom and part of the attic. Heat damaged the car and a camper on the carport’s opposite side.

There were appliances in the carport, but they weren’t plugged in, Evans said.

Winters planned to let Evans stay at his home until she can plan her next step.

Evans’ husband, Jack, a railroad employee, was working in Southern California Monday. She said they didn’t have renters’ insurance.

Crews cleared the scene at 6:10 p.m.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User