A Message from the President
President Lake Wildwood Association
While I was hoping in this issue of TWI to focus on some of the strategic work taking place among the Board and the Committees, I have been asked instead to summarize where we are and where we are headed on the security issues given the October 6, 2015 Special Board meeting. To begin with, let’s emphasize again that no final decision has been made regarding outsourcing.
The October 6 Special Meeting was called to address the petition for an advisory vote on the two key security issues. As mentioned in the last edition of TWI, while the Board was aware there was no legal obligation for an advisory vote, the Board wanted to discuss the request.
The Board highlighted they had heard several concerns raised by the membership including that; the decision to outsource had been made without sufficient notice to the membership and without opportunity for debate; that security is the most important amenity at Lake Wildwood; that the security system we have “ain’t broke-don’t fix it”; if improvements could be made by outsourcing could they also be improved by hiring a new security chief, implementing new systems, changing procedures, and conducting training; and questioning how an outside firm could actually provide better service at a lower cost.
Extensive discussion took place during which every Board member shared their personal view of the request for an advisory vote. Members of the community also spoke, sharing their views and concerns. In the end, the Board voted unanimously to reject the request for an advisory vote.
During the discussion it was clear the Board believed that rather than an advisory vote, the better approach was to provide an opportunity for the community to be fully and fairly heard by coming to the podium and engaging in a dialogue. The board therefore voted to direct that a Special Board meeting be scheduled by the end of October. That meeting would enable members to share their views in a much more robust interaction
While not part of the vote, it was discussed the meeting would be in the evening and would be captured by the Channel 95 team for review by other members. In the meantime the GM, Board members, and MSI committee members have continued to obtain information to both answer questions raised by the community and to ensure any potential contract addresses the intended outcomes. That has included on site visits to view both the operations and technology used by the outside vendor.
A save the date notice has gone out and that meeting is scheduled for October 29 at 6:30 pm. Mark it on your calendar!
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User