2 die in Yuba County wreck, authorities say
May 2, 2018
Two people died in a Wednesday morning wreck on Highway 49, south of Camptonville in Yuba County, the California Highway Patrol said.
The wreck happened around 10:20 a.m. near Marysville Road. Zsophia Lighstep, 20, of Dobbins, was driving a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder south when it drifted into oncoming traffic. That led to a collision with a northbound 2006 Toyota Scion driven by an unnamed 17-year-old Grass Valley woman, Officer Greg Tassone said.
"Ms. Lighstep became distracted by a beverage in the center console and looked away from the roadway, causing the Nissan to cross into the northbound lane, directly into the path of the Toyota," a release states.
The woman driving the Scion swerved into the oncoming lane in a failed attempt to avoid the Pathfinder. The collision sent the Scion down a 20-foot embankment. The Scion's two male passengers — one of them a 20-year-old Grass Valley resident — died, Tassone said.
Lighstep declined medical transport. The Scion's driver was taken to Sutter Roseville Medical Center, the officer said.
The wreck led to traffic delays for a few hours, Tassone said.
Recommended Stories For You
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Local News
- All Thai’d up: After a year of preparation, Chandara Thai opens in Grass Valley
- North San Juan resident arrested in Nebraska pot bust takes plea
- Renovation of Nevada City’s National Hotel on pace for December reopening
- Nevada County Fair board ousts CEO Rea Callender
- Grass Valley police: Man on parole caught after fleeing officers