LIST: Nevada County events postponed, canceled due to coronavirus
- The 2020 Strawberry Music Festival has been postponed until next year. “All tickets will be honored at next year’s Spring 2021 Strawberry Music Festival, taking place on May 27 – 31 at the Nevada County Fairgrounds, in Grass Valley,” festival organizers announced on Facebook. “In keeping with our published ticket policy, ticket refunds will not be offered at this time.”
- The AARP TaxAide Program has been suspended indefinitely. Additional information can be obtained by calling 211.
- Grass Valley’s Center for the Arts announced Tuesday it will postpone its grand opening events. The official ribbon cutting ceremony and opening celebrations have been put on hold, as well as all shows originally scheduled for March, April and May.
- Big Brothers Big Sister of Northern Sierra has announced the Bowl For Kids’ Sake event has been postponed until October 17. “Your bowling session time and team reservation will remain the same,” the board said in an email to The Union. “You will be contacted with updates as arrangements for our event become solidified — The Super Hero Bowl will take place!”
- The City of Grass Valley is closing all parks today (March 16) to help mitigate and slow the spread of COVID-19, according to a release from Taylor Day, Community Service Analyst. “City officials plan to reevaluate the situation on April 1 and will provide an update at that time,” the release states. List of parks effected: Memorial Park, Memorial Pool, Condon Park, Minnie Park, DeVere Mautino Park, Lyman Gilmore Turf Field, Dow Alexander Park, Elisabeth Daniels Park, and Glenn Jones Park.
- NEO Youth Center will be closing temporarily beginning March 13 at 6:30 p.m., according to a release form NEO. The five year anniversary celebration is also being postponed until further notice. However, the “Fashion Show Meeting on March 24 and our young adults hike on March 28” is not being postponed or cancelled.
- The fundraiser for injured NU student Ryan Bodine, originally set for March 20 at the John Baggett Theatre, has been postponed. Those wishing to donate online can visit GoFundMe.com and search for “Ryan Bodine and Family Support.”
- NorCal Fringe Festival postponed until the summer, according to a press release.
- Lyman Gilmore Middle School’s production of “Frozen,” scheduled for Thursday through Sunday, has been postponed to an as yet unknown date.
- Grass Valley Little League activities will be suspended until April 6, according to a release from Grass Valley Little League Board of Directors. Little League International is the one recommending that all leagues implement a temporary suspension, according to an email for the board.
- STEM into Knowledge has been postponed, according to an email from AAUW Nevada County Branch. The event is a senior project for Nevada Union Senior Daniela Schumacher, who “hopes to reschedule later this school year is possible,” the email stated.
- Grass Valley School District Kindergarten Roundup has been postponed until further notice, according to a release from the district. The principals will be at Margaret G. Scotten Elementary School from 6 – 7 tonight and at Bell Hill Academy from 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- STEAM Expo 2020 has been postponed to 2021, according to a release from Nevada County Superintendent of Schools
- InConcert Sierra with Pianist Wu Han, cellist David Finckel and violinist Arnaud Sussmann — TBD
- Nevada City Rotary Club’s Hungry Games fundraiser has been rescheduled to July 19
- The League of Women Voters of Western Nevada County has postponed its ““Fair Elections: Threats and Assurances” program as well as its April’s Second Saturday program and its Constitutional Challenge fundraiser. “We’re planning to reschedule these events to the late summer or fall, and will announce those dates as soon as possible,” said Janice Bedayn, League President, in a press release.
- Hospitality House’s Empty Bowl fundraiser has been postponed until April at the earliest, according to a press release from Hospitality House.
- The Friendship Club’s Power of the Purse fundraiser originally scheduled for March 19 has been postponed to Sept. 23.
- NID is closing its Business Center in Grass Valley, as well as all of its recreational facilities and campgrounds in efforts to reduce the transmission risk of the coronavirus. The closures are effective immediately until further notice, according to a press release from NID.
- Following the protocol of our County, cities, and town of Truckee, Nevada County Tech Hub at 104 New Mohawk Road in Nevada City has cancelled all events, meetups and training until further notice.
- The Business & Profession Women of Nevada County have announced the cancellation of their program, which was scheduled for March 18.
- According to the Penn Valley Fire Protection District’s Facebook page, the Penn Valley Firefighters Breakfast has been cancelled this month.
- Anew Day Board of Directors has decided to cancel its 7th annual Crab Feed & Auction fundraiser, according to Executive Director Lori Nunnink-Taylor
- California Youth Symphony for Music in the Mountains
- Tibetan monks cancel trip to Nevada County
- Sierra Harvest Soup Night — For more information SierraHarvest.org
- Sierra Stages cancels all remaining performances of ‘Blithe Spirit’
- Miners Foundry events canceled: DJ Dance Party, Tumbledown House
- The PEO Gold Country Reciprocity Board (GCRB) has canceled the Founder’s Day luncheon scheduled for Saturday, March 21 at Sierra Pines Methodist Church in Grass Valley. Also the officers training slated for Saturday, April 4, 2020 has been cancelled.
This story will continue to be updated as more information is obtained.
Connect with needs and opportunities from
Get immediate access to organizations and people in our area that need your help or can provide help during the Coronavirus crisis.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.