Grass Valley assault case ends in probation
The second of two men linked to an Arcadia Drive assault was sentenced Monday to probation.
Isaac Williams, 20, faced a maximum of four years and eight months in prison for the February 2018 incident. Instead Nevada County Superior Court Judge Candace Heidelberger issued a three-year probationary sentence for the man who’d been jailed over a year.
“You personally were not armed, though your codefendant was,” the judge told Williams. “It does appear that you are remorseful.”
Defense attorney Stephen Munkelt, who represents Williams, said his client’s probation began Monday. His time in the Nevada County Jail doesn’t apply to the sentence.
“I think that the final resolution is the right outcome under the system we have today,” Munkelt said. “My only regret is that it took over a year to get to that resolution.”
Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Hotaling said she didn’t offer probation as part of the plea.
“The agreement was that Williams would plea straight-up and sentencing left in the hands of the judge,” the prosecutor said in an email. “I believe the judge, for the reasons stated on the record today, i.e., his youth, prior clean record, and remorse shown, hopes he will make good on probation and turns his life around.”
Both Williams and Matthew Little, 21, pleaded no contest in February to assault with a firearm and false imprisonment by violence. Prosecutors dropped charges of first-degree burglary, kidnapping and criminal threats against the men.
Heidelberger last month sentenced Little to two years and eight months in prison.
Authorities have said a handful of people, one of them with a shotgun, entered an Arcadia Drive home on Feb. 9, 2018. Officers learned later the victim had been lured to the home. The suspects then arrived, confronting the victim about a prior theft. Williams, Little and a juvenile were arrested.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4239.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
A man who has been in custody since 2014 for his connection to an alleged Penn Valley murder will withdraw his guilty pleas in the case, throwing the status of the case into doubt.