The following is a list of personal favorites. For a complete list of accommodations and other information, call the Sierra County Chamber of Commerce: 1-800-200-4949 or check out their colorful website at: http://www.sierracounty.org.
Lakes Basin Area Lodging:
• Gold Lake Lodge, (530) 836-2350. 11 cabins, hearty breakfast and dinner included. $95-$130 per person per day. Open June-October. (Openings for 2002.)
• Gray Eagle Lodge, Gold Lake Road, Lakes Basin Area. (530) 836-2511. 18 one- and two-bedroom cabins, some with fireplaces. Full breakfast and 4-course gourmet dinners included. $155-$200 per day for 2 people. (Call for dinner reservations. Fall openings on cabins.) http://www.grayeaglelodge.com
• High Country Inn, Hwy. 49 & Greene Road (Bassett’s corner). (530) 862-1530, 1-800-862-1530. Five bed & breakfast rooms on Yuba River. $85-$135. Open all year.
• Packer Lake Lodge, 3901 Packer Lake Rd., Lakes Basin Area. (530) 862-1221. Restaurant, bar, cabins, boat rentals, fishing supplies. $68-$150 per day. Open 8am-10pm (except Tuesdays) May-October. (Fall openings.)
• Salmon Lake Lodge, Salmon Lake Rd., Lakes Basin Area. (530) 757-1825. On Salmon Lake. 14 housekeeping units (some tent cabins), use of boats included. $600-$1600 per week. Open June-October. (Very hard to get in. Try for fall or next year.)
Downieville Area Lodging:
• Downieville River Inn & Resort, River St. (530) 289-3308 or 1-800-696-3308. On the Yuba River, swimming pool. Bed & Breakfast, Open all year. $75-190 per night.
• Downieville Inn, Main St., (530) 289-3243. Some fireplaces and kitchenettes. Offers mountain bike shuttle service, bike wash and bike trail information. $59-79 per night.
• The Lure Resort, Highway 49, Downieville. 1-800-671-4084. On the Yuba River, one mile east of Downieville. 8 camping cabins (no electricity) $50 per night, 9 housekeeping cabins, $85-$195 per night. http://www.lureresort.com
• Sierra Shangri-La, Highway 49, Downieville. (530) 289-3455. Eight housekeeping cottages and bed & breakfast rooms on the Yuba River. Most units include kitchen and wood stove. $80-$170 per night. Off season specials. http://www.sierrashangrila. com
• Downieville Bakery and Cafe, (530) 289-0108. Corner of Main and Highway 49, Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
• Downieville Diner, Main St., (530) 289-3616. Good homestyle cooking and old-fashioned affordable prices and service. Riverside patio dining. Try their home baked desserts. Open all year.
• Riverview Pizzeria, Main St., (530) 289-3540. Pizza, hot sandwiches, salads, appetizers. Deck on the river and a park next door with picnic tables. Open seven days a week, 11:30-8 or later in summer.
Sierra City Lodging:
• Busch & Heringlake Inn, Hwy. 49, Sierra City. (530) 862-1501. Four bed & breakfast rooms with private baths in historic building. Open all year. $110-$130 per night. http://www.ncgold.com/sierracity/
• Buttes Resort & Buckhorn Lodge, Hwy. 49, Sierra City. (530) 862-1170. Cabins with kitchens, private decks, rooms with fireplaces. Open all year. $70-150 per night. (Great honeymoon suite!)
• Herrington’s Sierra Pines, Hwy. 49, Sierra City. (530) 862-1151. AAA-approved accommodations & dining.
• Yuba River Inn, Hwy. 49, Sierra City. (530) 862-1122. Single and 2-bedroom full kitchen log cabins. $50-$140 per night. Open all year.
• Along Highway 49 in Indian Valley, before Downieville, then in Sierra City and along Gold Lake Road, there are many Tahoe National Forest campgrounds to choose from, though most are primitive. There are no phone reservations, but for more information, call North Yuba Ranger Station at (530) 478-6253.
• Alleghany Mining Museum, P.O. Box 907, (530) 287-3330. Tours of the world-famous Sixteen-to-One gold mine in Alleghany, a working, producing underground mine. Call for a brochure.
• Kentucky Mine & Museum and Summer Concert Series, Sierra City, (530) 862-1310. Tours of the stamp mill, miner’s cabin and mine portal, historical museum, picnic area, amphitheater. Open varying days May-October.
• Big Springs Gardens, Sierra City, a private estate of over twenty-three acres of lush gardens, state of the art commercial kitchen and barbecue facilities, can be reserved for weddings, receptions. (530) 862-1333.
• Yuba Expedition Bike Shop, Downieville, Hwy 49 & Main St. Full Service bike shop. Shuttles and guided trips. (530) 289-3010. yubaexpeditions.com
• Downieville Outfitters, 101 Commercial St., (530) 289-0155. Full service bicycle shop. Rentals, shuttle, service, supplies, repair. Bikes for sale. Snow-shoe rentals.
• In addition to everything else, visitors can also enjoy horseback riding, gold panning, shopping and winter sports of snow-shoeing, cross country skiing and snowmobiling.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User