Burn permits required starting Saturday in Nevada, Yuba, Placer counties | TheUnion.com

Burn permits required starting Saturday in Nevada, Yuba, Placer counties


On Saturday, Cal Fire Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit will require burn permits for residential vegetative material pile burning within Nevada, Yuba, and Placer counties.

Burning can only be done on permissive burn days. To find out if it is a permissive burn day, contact your local Air Pollution Control District or Air Quality Management District.

The unit chief will implement a burn ban when weather conditions warrant.

Only vegetative material such as leaves, pine needles and tree trimmings may be burned. Household garbage may not be burned. Do not burn on windy days. Burning can only be done during permissive times. You must have a signed permit in your possession while you are burning, and you are responsible for always maintaining control of your fire.

Possession of a permit does not protect you if your fire escapes. You could potentially be liable for costs if your project escapes your control or burns the property of another.

If a fire escapes your control, you should call 911. Wildfires can spread very quickly. A fast response from the fire department can reduce suppression cost considerably.

Simple common sense can greatly reduce the chance of an escape. If you do not feel it is safe to conduct a burn, then do not.

Burn permits can be obtained online at burnpermit.fire.ca.gov. Watch the mandatory video which reviews burning requirements and safety tips, fill in the required fields, submit the form and a burn permit will be created. The applicant must then print the permit. Permits are valid for the calendar year in which they are issued and must be reissued annually on or after Jan. 1 of each year. You may still obtain a burn permit from your local fire station.

Changing conditions may necessitate an early burn suspension. Please keep informed about burn restrictions by visiting http://www.readyforwildfire.com.

Source: Cal Fire


Nevada County

Northern Sierra Air Quality Management District: 530-274-7928, 530-582-1027 or visit myairdistrict.com

Auburn area

Placer County Air Pollution Control District: 530-889-6868. Outside Auburn, toll-free: 800-998-BURN (2876). Placer’s burn day website: http://www.placerair.org/burnday

Yuba County

Feather River Air Quality Management District: 530-741-6299


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more