Fire guts Smartsville residence | TheUnion.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Fire guts Smartsville residence

A fire broke out at a residence on Mooney Flat Road in Smartsville on Saturday afternoon.
Photo for The Union by Annita Kasparian |

A Saturday afternoon fire that left a residence near Smartsville a “total loss” appeared to have been accidental and possibly was caused by a heating element for a reptile cage.

Penn Valley Fire Protection District personnel responded to the structure fire in the 10000 block of Mooney Flat Road at just after 3:30 p.m.,

The first responding units found a single-family home with a significant fire already established, said Penn Valley Fire Capt. Clayton Thomas.



Firefighters from Smartsville, Rough and Ready and Grass Valley also responded to battle the blaze for about two and a half hours, Thomas said.

No one was home at the time of the fire; some cats were unaccounted for. The residence was gutted but an attached storage shed was saved, Thomas said.


Support Local Journalism


Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.

 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User