Farad Fire Update: 28 percent containment; all lanes open on I-80 (LIVE FEED) | TheUnion.com

Farad Fire Update: 28 percent containment; all lanes open on I-80 (LIVE FEED)

UPDATE: July 13, 11 a.m.

The Farad Fire is 28 percent contained, authorities said on Thursday morning, July 13.

The wind-driven wildfire, which started about 1 p.m. on Monday, July 10, has scorched 747 acres in an area about 12 miles northeast of Truckee along Interstate 80. All eastbound and westbound lanes are open.

UPDATE: July 12

A wind-driven wildfire about 12 miles northeast of Truckee presented more challenges for firefighters on Tuesday, July 11, and created traffic woes for motorists because of the closure of Interstate 80.

The blaze, which has been coined the “Farad Fire,” consumed 670 acres as of late Tuesday afternoon, and was about 20 percent contained.

“Today (Tuesday) numerous crews and engines are working to suppress and keep the fire north of Interstate 80,” said Erica Hupp, who is the public information officer for the Farad Fire.

“Fire suppression efforts will be assisted with numerous air resources, including four CL415 (Super) Scooper aircraft. Additionally, engines and crews are being reassigned from the recently contained Earthstone Fire, managed by Great Basin Team 6 based in Sparks, Nev.”

Hupp, who made her remarks in a statement issued online and broadcast over the internet, said the Farad Fire was burning in “very steep terrain in grass, sagebrush and timber.”

She also said the fire forced a Liberty Utilities crew to de-energize a power line in the area as a safety precaution for firefighters. About 40 residents were affected by the power outage. Each of the affected customers was notified.

The fire also threatened seven structures, which were being monitored. Hupp said evacuations were not planned, but it would be wise for people to have a “go bag” ready with essential items.

The closure of I-80 on Tuesday was largely the result of wind not favorable to fighting the wildfire, said California Highway Patrol Officer Pete Mann, who was on-scene. He said the fire made its way “all the way down” to the interstate on Tuesday, after getting close on Monday, July 10.

The closure stymied traffic flow in both directions on Tuesday with the eastbound side of I-80 backed up for miles as vehicles were redirected at State Route 267.

The eastbound and westbound lanes were reopened, with restrictions, at about 2:55 p.m. on Tuesday.

The Farad Fire was reported about 1 p.m. on Monday, July 10, according to incident reports from CAL FIRE and CHP.

Fueled by wind in excess of 10 mph, the wildfire quickly made its way up a hillside adjacent to I-80.

The rapid growth of the fire forced the closure of I-80 westbound near the Nevada state line in mid-afternoon on Monday, July 10.

The eastbound side of I-80 was then shuttered about 4:40 p.m. on Monday, July 10, after a shift in the wind. The closure point was at State Route 267.

“In the interest of public safety, we closed (Interstate 80),” Mann said.

Both sides of I-80 remained closed until the eastbound lanes were reopened about 6:43 p.m. on Monday. A westbound lane was opened later in the evening.

While the cause of the fire has not been determined, there was a vehicle in the area about the time the blaze started. The sighting was noted in a CHP incident report on Monday.

Wyatt Haupt Jr. is the managing editor for the Sierra Sun. He can be reached via email at whaupt@sierrasun.com or by phone at 530-550-2652.

UPDATE: 12 p.m.

The second westbound lane of Interstate 80 near the state line of Nevada is expected to be reopened on Wednesday, July 12, after being shuttered because of ongoing efforts to fight the Farad Fire about 12 miles northeast of Truckee.

“The fire is doing a lot better,” said California Highway Patrol Officer Pete Mann on the status of the fire, which is 20 percent contained.

The wind-driven wildfire has consumed about 670 acres in the hills adjacent to I-80.

Fire resources used Tuesday, July 11, included four helicopters, four CL415 Scoopers, three heavy air tankers and three single-engine air tankers, 16 engines, 10 hand crews, four water tenders, one bulldozer, and 20 overhead personnel, authorities said.

Wyatt Haupt Jr. is a reporter for the Sierra Sun, a sister paper of The Union. Contact him at whaupt@sierrasun.com.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User