Trial date set for alleged kidnappers in Nevada County Superior Court
October 16, 2017
A trial date of Feb. 20 has been set for Layla Callahan and David Munoz, who are facing charges of kidnapping and false imprisonment.
Callahan, 23, and Munoz, 25, are considering a possible plea agreement, said their attorneys, Zenia Gilg and Greg Klein.
The pair will return to Nevada County Superior Court on Nov, 17; a pre-trial conference was also scheduled, for Feb. 2. Gilg told Judge Candace Heidelberger she estimated the trial would last three weeks.
Both defendants face a maximum sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole if they go to trial and are convicted. They both remain in jail on $500,000 bail.
Authorities allege Callahan and Munoz held a former boyfriend of Callahan's at his home over a drug debt early this year. At some point the man was released; he went to police and officers arrested Callahan and Munoz in February.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Someone tries to run woman off road for driving too slow
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man found in ditch collecting crystals
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Strange things afoot when designer socks go missing
- Police: Kinseth murder suspect allegedly moved body, hid evidence
- Reality TV Bigfoot hunter, Justin Smeja, faces hunting charges in Sierra County
- Grass Valley man accused of threatening to kill, gut officers
- Snow, rain totals for Nevada County beating last year
- Authorities rule Roseville woman’s death a suicide
- Meet Your Merchant: Business started when owner found a niche during the Great Recession
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman says someone threatened, urinated on her