Suspect in assault, vehicle theft arrested
August 4, 2015
Nevada County Sheriff's deputies assisting firefighters at a medical call ended up arresting a man on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and vehicle theft Thursday.
Deputies responded to the medical call at about 4 p.m. on Tyler Foote Crossing Road near Black Sand Mine Road and found the male victim sitting on the ground and wearing a neck brace and an arm sling, said Sheriff Keith Royal.
The victim told deputies that Walter Timothy Carter, who was being evicted from his house, hit him in the head about five times with a billy club.
The assault victim, who was not identified, reportedly told deputies that he drove Carter to a campground, and then was helping him move his belongings when Carter attacked him with the club.
The victim said he fell to the ground but was able to get up and punch Carter in the face, Royal said. Carter reportedly dropped the club, then picked it back up and swung it at him.
The two men reportedly began wrestling and the victim got Carter into a chokehold, and they both fell to the ground.
Recommended Stories For You
The victim said he tried to pepper-spray Carter but it failed to work and he fled into the bathroom. He then said Carter began to walk toward a knife, so he left the residence and called 911 from a neighbor's house.
As deputies interviewed the victim, Carter drove up in a vehicle that the victim identified as belonging to him, Royal said.
Carter was uncooperative despite being ordered out of the vehicle at gunpoint, Royal said. He eventually was taken into custody.
Carter, 40, was arrested on the assault and vehicle theft charges as well as an outstanding warrant, and was being held without bail.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Crime
- Hearing in Jamie Kinseth homicide case postponed
- Police: Kinseth murder suspect allegedly moved body, hid evidence
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person on golf cart swings clubs at geese
- Former NFL player, actor Tim Rossovich arrested in connection with domestic violence incident
- Nevada City man accused of having $1 million in pot now in federal custody, sheriff’s office says
- Nevada County lion attack is instead an assault, victim in stable but critical condition
- Penn Valley man killed in solo crash on Highway 20
- Nevada City’s National Hotel re-opening delayed
- Nevada County missing man case: Signs of violent struggle found
- The silent killer hits home: Over 400 Americans die annually from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning (VIDEO)