Reportedly suicidal woman in Meadow Vista killed by deputy
July 24, 2015
While responding to a call about a suicidal woman in Meadow Vista early Thursday morning, a Placer County Sheriff's deputy reportedly was forced to shoot the woman when she drew a gun.
The identity of the deceased woman, 44, won't be released until her family is notified, said Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Dena Erwin.
She had been staying with a female friend at the Meadow Vista home.
The Auburn Police Department received a call around midnight from the Chico Police Department, which stated that someone in their jurisdiction had seen suicidal statements on Facebook from a woman they knew lived in Auburn.
Since the woman had different addresses associated with her name, Auburn police called the sheriff's office for assistance, Erwin said.
Deputies were sent to an address on Crystal Lane in Meadow Vista. The first deputy arrived around 12:25 a.m. and saw a woman standing at the back of the house. He spoke with her and asked her to show her hands.
Recommended Stories For You
She was shot when she pulled out a .38-caliber handgun, Erwin said, adding it was later discovered that the weapon was loaded.
The shooting is being investigated by the Placer County Sheriff's Office and the Placer County District Attorney's Office.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: A dozen peacocks cause property damage
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman rips speed limit sign from ground, hits vehicle with it
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports theft of trees
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Missing sweater located, not with ‘hippies’ outside
- Nevada City man accused of having $1 million in pot now in federal custody, sheriff’s office says
- Narcotics detectives arrest Alta Sierra couple in connection with honey oil lab
- Cutting the mustard: Grass Valley’s Pine Street Burgers opens second location
- Driver wrecks on Highway 20 in Penn Valley, arrested after he wanders from scene, CHP says
- Fire near Sutton Way linked to transient camp in Grass Valley (VIDEO)
- Audrey Denney, Doug LaMalfa battle for 1st Congressional District seat