No charges filed yet in racial incident at Rollins Lake in Nevada County
A racial incident at a Nevada County campground in August that drew widespread media attention — and sparked a GoFundMe campaign to pay for a new vacation for the alleged victims — has not resulted in any criminal charges being filed as of yet.
Nevada County District Attorney Cliff Newell said that evidence is still being reviewed and the investigation is ongoing.
“I am not going to rush to a conclusion,” Newell said last week, adding, “I have three years to file a felony.”
Kanisha Allen said she was camping with her extended family in the Greenhorn Campground at Rollins Lake when they heard racist comments directed to them from a neighboring campsite.
The family said they tried to ignore the comments, but tensions escalated when a man reportedly pelted down the hill at the family with a shotgun.
Allen’s mother reportedly was knocked down or fell during the incident, resulting in cuts and bruises to her face.
“We ran up the hills. We’ve got kids screaming ‘Are we going to die? Why don’t they like us?’” Allen said during an interview with News10.
The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office said it found that no shots were fired at the campground but was continuing to investigate.
The following week, local residents rallied to bring the victimized family back to the foothills for a 2016 reunion.
Shera Johnson, a resident of Grass Valley, created a fundraiser at GoFundMe.com and organized a rally that drew an outpouring of community support.
“We can build off doing something as a community,” Johnson said at the time.
Johnson said the online fundraiser eventually raised more than $5,000 for Allen and her family, for them to use for a vacation here in Nevada County, or wherever they chose.
But nearly three months later, Allen still is waiting for some resolution on the law enforcement side.
“Nobody’s been in contact with us,” Allen said Tuesday. “We haven’t heard from anyone in months — it’s been at least a solid month and a half.”
Allen added that her brother has called the Sheriff’s Office twice in the last two weeks, leaving messages that have not been returned.
According to Newell, the case still is being investigated by the Sheriff’s Office, and the sheer number of people involved has caused delays.
Newell also said the alleged victims have not been fully cooperative, adding that they have not turned over the original copy of a video that was posted to YouTube and that was shared widely on television news reports.
“They asked for the video, but the video clip in its entirety was shown on the news, so they already have it, there’s nothing different from what I have,” Allen said. “I can’t understand why they aren’t moving forward.
“It just feels like after the media attention died down, we didn’t hear anything else,” Allen continued. “I hope it’s not being swept under the rug.”
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Grass Valley and Nevada County make The Union’s work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
A man on trial for murder in the death of his 2-year-old son following a car crash grew visibly emotional Tuesday during testimony from an emergency room physician.