UPDATE: Nevada County robbery suspect no longer faces sodomy charge
October 30, 2017
UPDATED at 11:34 a.m. Nov. 3, 2017:
Nevada County prosecutors said Friday they won’t pursue sodomy accusations against a Grass Valley man arrested this week on the charge.
Sanji Lebovitz, 45, was booked Sunday in the Nevada County Jail on a charge of sodomy of a victim unconscious of the act. Out on $100,000 bond, Lebovitz won’t face prosecution on that accusation.
"I looked at that case and we turned it down for lack of sufficient evidence," said Chris Walsh, assistant district attorney, Friday morning.
Lebovitz still faces a robbery accusation in an unrelated incident.
Authorities have said that Lebovitz in September robbed an ex-girlfriend of her skateboard. Held on $100,000 bail on that accusation, he remained in jail for about 10 days before a judge halved his bond.
Recommended Stories For You
Sanji Lebovitz, accused last month of robbing a woman of her skateboard, was arrested this past weekend on a sodomy charge, Nevada County authorities said.
Sheriff's deputies arrested Lebovitz, 45, on a charge of sodomy of a victim unconscious of the act. Booked Sunday in the Nevada County Jail, Lebovitz has since made his $100,000 bond, records state.
According to Lt. Sam Brown, the adult victim contacted authorities shortly after the incident. Deputies then responded to the call and spoke with her.
"The victim reported having been sodomized by Sanji," Brown said.
Deputies then interviewed Lebovitz and obtained a statement before arresting him, he added.
Brown said Lebovitz and the victim know each other, though it's unknown to what degree.
Lebovitz's Sunday arrest was the second time in under two months he's been booked into the Nevada County Jail.
Authorities have said that Lebovitz on Sept. 11 robbed an ex-girlfriend of her skateboard. He'd gone to the woman's home, at some point taking the skateboard. The pair struggled when the woman tried to take it back and Lebovitz pushed her to the ground.
Lebovitz was held on $100,000 in bail on the robbery charge for about 10 days before a judge halved his bond, leading to his release.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man on road looks like Road Warrior from Mel Gibson movie
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Child tells dispatch ‘you’re stupid’
- Police: Kinseth murder suspect allegedly moved body, hid evidence
- Nevada County District Attorney will not seek death penalty in Stan Norman murder case
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Man sticking head out window making gestures arrested for DUI
- High-speed chase through Nevada County ends in crash, arrest of two robbery suspects
- OUTPOURING OF LOVE: Forest Lake Christian community lends helping hand to Paradise Adventist Academy during time of need
- Nevada City health club to be repurposed as ‘cannabis campus’
- Meet your merchant: Grass Valley’s adult store and lingerie shop has had a discreet following for more than 15 years
- UPDATE: Bill Smethers concedes sheriff’s race after viewing media reports