Nevada County carjacker sentenced after judge upholds plea deal
October 27, 2017
Accused carjacker James Jerold Zinola-Young was sentenced to more than 10 years in state prison Friday, after a judge found no reason to set aside his plea agreement.
Zinola-Young, 24, was arrested late last year in connection with the December carjacking of a man who claimed that Zinola-Young threatened his life and took his vehicle. The victim reportedly escaped from the vehicle and ran through the woods before finding a home and using a phone.
In July, Zinola-Young pleaded no contest to carjacking and criminal threats in exchange for a sentence of 11 years and four months, but then had questions regarding information that appeared in the pre-sentence report.
Defense attorney Kenneth Tribby, who represented Zinola-Young, asked Nevada County Superior Court Judge Candace Heidelberger to appoint an attorney to review the plea.
On Friday, defense attorney Laurence Montgomery told Heidelberger he found no basis for Zinola-Young to withdraw his plea, adding that he had been properly advised by his attorney regarding a prior strike offense.
Heidelberger told Zinola-Young that she was requiring him to admit the prior strike, or she would set his case for trial. She noted that his maximum exposure, should he be convicted on all counts, was 23 years and four months.
Recommended Stories For You
Zinola-Young opted to make the admission and Heidelberger subsequently sentenced him to the stipulated sentence.
Contact reporter Liz Kellar at 530-477-4236 or by email at email@example.com.
Trending In: Crime
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Hairy men shooting up
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Dirt biker threatens property owner
- Nevada City man accused of having $1 million in pot now in federal custody, sheriff’s office says
- 2nd murder suspect in death of veteran Stan Norman appears in Nevada County court
- Nevada County prosecutor: Victim’s blood found on Joseph Ward’s boots; witness says Ward never admitted to slaying
- Fatality involved with fire off Old Tunnel Road (VIDEO)
- Rough and Ready caregiver arrested in suspected financial elder abuse
- Human skull found in Truckee off Highway 89
- One arrested, thousands of marijuana plants seized on San Juan Ridge
- Attorneys in vehicular manslaughter case now have toxicology, vehicle info